[Samba] Compiling Samba with LDAP support - please help

Damir Dezeljin programing at nib.si
Sat Jun 29 13:07:02 GMT 2002

I tried to compile various version (2.5, 2.6pre1, 3.0alpha17, HEAD,...)
of Samba with LDAP support ('configure --with-ldapsam'). During
configuration and 'make' process all seams fine, but after I installed
('make install') and ran, Samba complains something similar to "Unknown
option: ldap server" and some other similar error messages. It seams that
LDAP support isn't compiled into Samba. After reading all I found on
internet I'm decidet to swithc to a newer release but I got some messages
with the new release too.

I'm using Debian Woody.

Some configurations,...:
# dpkg -l |grep -i ldap
ii  ldap-utils     2.0.23-6       OpenLDAP utilities.
ii  libldap2       2.0.23-7       OpenLDAP libraries.
ii  libldap2-dev   2.0.23-7       OpenLDAP development libraries.
ii  libnet-ldap-pe 0.25-2         A Client interface to LDAP servers.
ii  libnss-ldap    186-1          NSS module for using LDAP as a naming
ii  libopenldap-ru 1.2.12.1-1     OpenLDAP runtime files for obsolete
ii  libpam-ldap    140-1          Pluggable Authentication Module allowing
ii  slapd          2.0.23-6       OpenLDAP server (slapd).

# ls -1 /usr/lib/*ldap*
/usr/lib/libldap.a
/usr/lib/libldap.la
/usr/lib/libldap.so
/usr/lib/libldap.so.2
/usr/lib/libldap.so.2.0.15
/usr/lib/libldap_r.a
/usr/lib/libldap_r.la
/usr/lib/libldap_r.so
/usr/lib/libldap_r.so.2
/usr/lib/libldap_r.so.2.0.15
/usr/lib/libnss_ldap.so

# ls -1 /usr/include/*ldap*
/usr/include/ldap.h
/usr/include/ldap_cdefs.h
/usr/include/ldap_features.h
/usr/include/ldap_schema.h

Can please someone help me? What is wrong? Why it doesn't working?

Regards,
Dezo