[Samba] Samba as PDC & File Server compared to Windows Server

Robert Szentmihalyi robert.szentmihalyi at entracom.de
Sat Jun 29 05:20:03 GMT 2002

On Saturday, 29. June 2002 13:50, Ssltbivdc.com wrote:
> Hi,
> Im looking for help and advice.  I am using Linux Red Hat 6.2 as
> my Server and I am running Apache 1.3.12 and Samba 2.0.6.
> I have an Intranet set up which my users access through IE 5.5 on
> their Windows 95 clients (at the moment!).  However, I am looking
> for advice on the best way to share files via the Intranet to my
> Windows Users.
>
> If i upgrade the clients to Windows XP or 2000 will my Samba
> Shares still work?  Am I better off setting up a Windows XP or

Yes, but I would upgrade to the latest samba release.

> 2000 Server rather than using Samba at all?  Is there a way that
> I can use Samba to act as a password server databse (similar to

Yes.

> SAMS in Windows 2000) which would remember all the users
> passwords!?  And finally, can Samba act as a Primary Domain
> Controller (PDC)?

Yes, works great.
But in this case, it is necessary to Samba 2.2.x

> I would like to be able to solve all my problems thru Linux and
> Samba - is it possible?  In Summary, for Samba to be a password
> server, PDC as well as an easily administered file server.  Where
> a user can put files and decide which users or groups can read,
> write or execute on those files!.

If you have your shares on an XFS file system and compile Samba
with ACL support, you can use ACLs to control ownerships just like
on a Windows 2000 server, but without all the security holes a
Windows 2000 server has to offer... :-)

We have done this for quite a number of customers and they are all
very happy with the solution we have provided.

> I am about to make a big decision and have done quite a bit of
> research - webdav, ldap, frontpage extensions etc etc but I am
> hoping that someone here can also point me in the right
> direction.  Please help.  Thanks in advance and hope!!

Just ask if you need more information.

> Mr. Gerard O'Reilly
> Intranet Manager
> Siam Stars Ltd/ Thai-Belgium Industrial Co. Ltd
> 21/6 Moo 3, Soi Kayha Bangbua,
> Viphavadee Rangsit Road,
> 60 Talad Bangkhen,
> Laksi Bangkok 10210