[Samba] NMB problem

Con Harte sysadmin at gfm.co.uk
Sat Jun 29 04:17:03 GMT 2002

Hi Steve,

Some systems (especially routers) will not use Subnet Zero by default.
If at all possible in your setup try starting you IP networks from
192.168.1.0 and so on.  This may not be the cause of your problems,
but making this change will be the most future-proof and compatible
way of numbering your networks.

At the very least I would suggest changing the IP address temporarily
on the Samba machine only.

I haven't read the source for nmbd but it is possible that even if
all systems on your network understand the broadcast address of
192.168.0.255, it could be the case that nmbd has a bug in it regarding
this particular subnet zero issue.

Hope that helps.
Con.