[Samba] sunflash-info

SunFlash Archive Server flash at sunvice.East.Sun.COM
Fri Jun 28 16:10:03 GMT 2002

For a general introduction send email to Flashback at FlashBack.COM
with 9001 in the Subject line.
(** included in this message **)

For the November 1994 contents make the Subject line: 71.00 1136 5019
For the December 1994 contents make the Subject line: 72.00 1146
For the January  1995 contents make the Subject line: 73.00 1176
For the February 1995 contents make the Subject line: 74.00
For the March    1995 contents make the Subject line: 75.00 1221

You can also use index and help in the subject line.

SunFlash 9001

                General FlashBack/SunFlash Information

April 1995         John J. McLaughlin, Editor/Publisher    flash at flashback.com

 From: flash at flashback.com (John J. McLaughlin)

 This article contains general information about the electronic
 journals that I edit and publish: "SunFlash" , "FlashBack"
 and "The Internet FlashBack"

 I have been producing SunFlash, (also known as "The Florida
 SunFlash"), for nearly six years and a half years. The new
 "SunFlash" is the continuation of that journal.

 When "SunFlash" grew to about 100 articles per month,
 140,000+ subscribers and 30,000+ article requests per month I
 decided that it was time to make some changes. For a variety
 of reasons, I started the two new journals, "FlashBack" and
 The Internet FlashBack" , and moved production of all three
 journals to an independent company with its own resouces and
 Internet domain (FlashBack.COM).

 Articles that originate within Sun are posted to SunFlash. All
 others articles will be posted to FlashBack which will become
 a commmercially sponored e-journal in July, 1995.

 Send email to flashback at flashback.com with one or more of
 the following article numbers in the Subject line for more
 information:

  o 75.35: What is SunFlash ?
  o 1222:  FlashBack: A Commercial Electronic Journal for Sun Users
  o 1223:  Why You Should Sponsor FlashBack Articles
  o 9050:  FlashBack Sponsor Information (Includes rates)
  o 75.00: Monthly SunFlash Summary for March, 1995
  o 1221:  Monthly FlashBack Summary for March, 1995

 My goal, as always, is to provide useful, timely, high-quality
 information to the Sun user community.

May 1st, 1995, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

FlashBack, Inc. is a publisher of full-text on-demand electronic
jounals. Flashback is independent of Sun Microsystems, Inc. and does
not claim to represent Sun Microsystems, Inc.

The FlashBack journals are free to all subscribers. You may share the
articles for non-profit purposes as long as you leave the copyright
notices in place. Some articles will have more restrictive copyrights.
E.g. most FAQ's may not be used for profit or modified. Please
respect such copyrights.

FlashBack is an innovative mechanism for solutions vendors to keep
the Sun community informed about their solutions in a timely and
cost-effective way.

The FlashBack journals are available through:

 o Mailing lists
 o USENET news
 o ftp
 o World Wide Web (WWW)
 o E-Mail Auto-Responder

The Electronic Journals
========================

The current SunFlash/Flashback journals are "SunFlash" ,
"FlashBack" and The Internet FlashBack"

SunFlash

   Articles about Sun from Sun. The types of articles posted
   here include:

    o Sun Press Releases
    o Edited Sun Producted Announcements (aka SunIntro)
    o Sun e-newsletters (e.g. "Sun Hottest", "Hot of the Press")
    o Sunergy announcements and e-newsletters

FlashBack

   Articles about Sun or of interest to the Sun community from
   companies other than Sun.

   The types of articles posted here include:
    o Sun User Group announcemsnts
    o Product announcements
    o Company newsletters
    o newsletter table of contents (e.g. "HPCwire", "WEBster', "SPARCFlash")
    o trade magazine table of contents (e.g. "Advanced
      Systems", "Open Computing")
    o Conference/Seminar/Trade-Show announcements
    o Text Book announcements (Sun/UNIX/Internet/Security/Sys-Admin/Computing)
    o Sponsored technical articles

The Internet Flashback

   Note: the "Internet FlashBack" is posted to the "FlashBack"
   list. It is not currently a separate list. I am still considering if
   this should be a separate list.

   Articles of interest to the Sun community from the Internet -
   and often about the Internet - are posted to this list. These
   articles are usually copyrighted and may only be used for
   non-profit purposes.

   The types of articles posted here include:
    o Sun-related Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
    o CERT/Security annoucements
    o Updated Internet Services List - by Scott A. Yanoff
    o Internet Mall - by Dave Taylor
    o Internet Services -by Kevin Savetz
    o electronic newsletters (e.g. EFF's "Everybody's Internet",
      NSF's "Scout Report"

Subscribing to The Mailing Lists

You can tell majordomo to add or delete any email address to any of
the lists. I must manually approve all requests when the requestor's
address is not the same as the address being added or deleted. Please
allow me a couple of days to approve such changes.

There are many options for each of the two main journals, SunFlash
and FlashBack. To keep the volume of email low or fixed, I offer
'digests'. Digests contain a one paragraph summary for a number of
articles. The full-text of any article can be obtained by sending email
to Flashback at FlashBack.COM with the article number in the
Subject field.

If you don't use mailtool, I suggest that you subscribe to sunflash and
flashback thus:

         % mailx majordomo at flashback.com
         subscribe sunflash
         subscribe flashback
         ^D
         %

If you use mailtool as your main mail reader, then subscribe to the
mailtool versions:

         % mailx majordomo at flashback.com
         subscribe mt-sunflash
         subscribe mt-flashback
         ^D
         %

If you are adding someone else, include their email address at the end
of the subscribe line. (see later example)

There are more options:

 Daily
    will have some articles and some digests
 Weekly
    one digest per week
 Monthly
    one digest per month
 usa
    US prices are only sent to those people in the USA.
    You can indicate that you are in the USA by
    subscribing to this list.
 Full
    no digests - all of the articles. Upto 100 per month.
    Sometimes there will be bursts of 5 to 15 articles.
 MultiMedia
    Article body has one paragraph for each article and the
    articles are included as attachements. MailTool and
    MIME versions are available.

The names for the mailing lists are

 sunflash
    Daily SunFlash
 mt-sunflash
    Daily SunFlash, MailTool format (all articles)
 mime-sunflash
    Daily SunFlash, MIME format (all articles)
 sunflash-w
    Weekly SunFlash
 sunflash-m
    Monthly SunFlash
 sunflash-f
    Full SunFlash
 sunflash-f-usa
    Full SunFlash for US subscibers
 mt-sunflash-w
    Mailtool SunFlash Weekly
 mime-sunflash-w
    MIME SunFlash Weekly
 flashback
    Daily FlashBack
 mt-flashback
    Daily FlashBack, MailTool format (all articles)
 mime-flashback
    Daily FlashBack, MIME format (all articles)
 flashback-w
    Weekly FlashBack
 flashback-m
    Monthly FlashBack
 flashback-f
    Full FlashBack
 mt-flashback-w
    Mailtool FlashBack Weekly
 mime-flashback-w
    MIME FlashBack Weekly
 usa
    List of US subscribers. No messages are posted to the
    usa list. It is only used by the automatic response
    program to decide if it should send a subscriber the US
    or international version of an article. I must approve all
    requests to this list as I am not allowd to make US
    prices available outside of the US
 sponsor
    Those people who have or who may sponsor a
    FlashBack article should join this list.

For example, if johnj at flashback.com wants to get one SunFlash
article per week and the daily Flashback, then the following mail
message would be send to Majordomo at FlashBack.COM

        % mailx Majordomo at FlashBack.COM
        Subject:
        subscribe sunflash-w johnj at flashback.com
        subscribe flashback  johnj at flashback.com
        ^D
        %

If johnj wants to change his flashback to the weekly version, then the

        Subject:
        subscribe flashback-w  johnj at flashback.com
        ^D
        %

If you make a change request for a different email account, the
request will be forwarded to me for approval.

To make it clear, you can have someone else added to the list by
adding their name to the subscribe line instead of yours.

Local Mailing Lists
====================

There is a large number of SunFlash and FlashBack aliases in place at
sites around the world that are used for the redistribution of the
SunFlash and Flashback journals. If you get SunFlash or FlashBack
through one of those aliases, you must direct change requests to the
administrator of that alias and not Majordomo at FlashBack.COM.

By convention, the local aliases are called sunflash@ and the admin
can be contacted at owner-sunflash at . However, not all aliases
follow these rules. Most of the local Sun offices that redistribute
SunFlash follow the convention. e.g. sunflash at sunfla.east.sun.com
and owner-sunflash at sunfla.east.sun.com

I will post the Monthly SunFlash and FlashBack articles to each of
the entries in sunflash and flashback individually. This will help you
see how SunFlash and FlashBack get to you. If you are included in an
alias that is included in a local redistribution alias, this will help but
it will still not be obvious how SunFlash gets to you. The owner of
the local redistribution alias should be able to help.

Normally I will post articles to SunFlash and FlashBack in batches
such that the real To: addresses are hidden. If you are having a
problem with unsubscribing, please send me a copy of one of the
messages that you get with the full mail headers.

USENET News
============

The Weekly and Monthly editions of "SunFlash" , "FlashBack"
and The Internet FlashBack" are posted to the USENET newsgroup
comp.sys.sun.announce.

Some organizations automatically convert SunFlash into a local
newsgroup. Check with your local admin. For example, within Sun
Microsystems, all of the SunFlash and FlashBack articles are posted
to the Sun-only newsgroup sun.sunflash.

If you make SunFlash available within your organization as a
newsgroup, please tell me and I will update a document that I
maintain that lists SunFlash/FlashBack distributors.

FlashBack and ftp
==================

draco.nova.edu:/pub/sunflash is the primary FlashBack/SunFlash site.
There are several sites around the world that automatically mirror
the files from draco.nova.edu:/pub/sunflash -

        ftp server              Directory name
        -------------------     -----------------------
        draco.nova.edu          pub/sunflash
        sunsite.unc.edu         pub/sun-info/sunflash
        src.doc.ic.ac.uk        sun/sunflash
        ftp.uu.net              systems/sun/sunflash
        ftp.adelaide.edu.au     pub/sun/sunflash

Three compressed tar files on the ftp-servers contain all of the
articles for the last three years:

        1992.tar.Z      1.6Mb  (vol 37 to 48)
        1993.tar.Z      3.9Mb  (vol 49 to 60)
        1994.tar.Z      3.4Mb  (vol 61 to 70)

You can access individual articles as files under the sunflash/1994
and sunflash/1995 directories. You can access each volume as a
single compressed tar file under the directory sunflash/1992,
sunflash/1993, sunflash/1994. and sunflash/1995 e.g. the whole of
volume 50 can be copies by fetching the 140k file
sunflash/1993/50.feb.tar.Z

FlashBack and the World Wide Web (WWW)
=======================================

Starting with Vol 70 (October, 1994), the files that make up the
HTML pages for "SunFlash" , "FlashBack" and The Internet
FlashBack" are on

        draco.nova.edu:/pub/sunflash/www

They can be copied into any WWW server to provide local access.
You can copy all of the HTML pages by ftp-ing the files

        draco.nova.edu:/pub/sunflash/www/www.jan.95.tar.Z
                                             (3.6Mb, last 700 articles)
        draco.nova.edu:/pub/sunflash/www/www.jan.update.01.tar.Z
                                             (350k)

You can make SunFlash and FlashBack available from your WWW
server by uncompressing and un-taring these files in order.

If you copy these files and make SunFlash/FlashBack available from
your WWW server, please send me email with your URL and I will
update my document that lists SunFlash/FlashBack distributors.

The HTML files on an ftp server can be accessed with a WWW
broswer such as Mosaic by using an ftp URL such as

        ftp://draco.nova.edu/pub/sunflash/www/index.html

Suggestions for improvements in the HTML or file structure from
experienced Web Masters is encouraged!

FlashBack E-Mail Auto-Responder
================================

You many request "SunFlash" , "FlashBack" or The Internet
FlashBack" articles by sending mail to
flashback at flashback.com.
Simply place a list of one or more
space separated article numbers in the subject line. E.g. to fetch the
October 1994 monthly editions for each of the three e-journals, send
email thus:

        % mailx FlashBack at FlashBack.COM
        Subject: 70.00 5013 1050
        ^D
        %

and three articles will be returned. If you don't get a response or if
you know or suspect that your mail system does not properly set the
From: address in your mail message (e.g. by not including a full
domain name), then you can add a line email-to followed by an
email address. e.g. same example as before, but force response to
flash at tuesday.FlashBack.COM

        % mailx FlashBack at FlashBack.COM
        email-to: flash at tuesday.FlashBack.COM
        ^D
        %

This autoresponse program sends out 15,000 to 30,000+ articles each
month. (If I think that an article will be very popular, I post it to
everyone, and that keeps the number of requests under control!)
Requests are queued and processed every 15 minutes.

Index files from the Autoresponder
===================================

There are two index files available from the
flashback at flashback.com autoresponder. The index files can be
obtained by placing the keywords index or fullindex in the subject
line of a message to flashback at flaskback.com.

   This is a brief index with the 100 or so most recent entries for
   each of my three journals.

fullindex

   This is a complete index with one line for each article for
   each of my three journals. The number of entries in fullindex
   as of 11/26/94:

    o 269 "FlashBack"
    o 8 "Internet FlashBack"
    o 596 "SunFlash"

   As I am converting the 1994 SunFlash articles while posting
   100+ new articles each month, the fullindex will soon have
   over 1000 article citations.

9001: General FlashBack/SunFlash Information

       This article contains general information about the electronic
       journals that I edit and publish: "SunFlash" , "FlashBack" and
       "The Internet FlashBack"

       I produced "The Florida SunFlash" for nearly six years.
       "SunFlash" is the continuation of that journal. When "SunFlash"
       grew to about 100 articles per month, 140,000+ subscribers and
       30,000+ article requests per month I decided that it was time to
       make some changes. For a variety of reasons, I started the two
       new journals, "FlashBack" and "The Internet FlashBack",
       and moved production of all three journals to an independent
       company with its own resouces and Internet domain (FlashBack.COM).

75.35: What is SunFlash ?

       This article describes the SunFlash E-Journal.

1222:  FlashBack: A Commercial Electronic Journal For Sun Users

       This article describes the FlashBack E-Journal.

1223:  Why You Should Sponsor FlashBack Articles

       This article explains the benefits of sponsoring FlashBack articles.

9002:  FlashBack and SunFlash Index

       This article contains a one line index entry for each of the
       articles posted to the electronic journals that I edit and
       publish: "SunFlash" , "FlashBack" and "The Internet FlashBack"

9050:  FlashBack Sponsor Information

       This article contains detailed information for sponsors of
       FlashBack articles. Annual Sponsorship and per-article fee
       information is also provided.

       Several Special Deals are described:

          o Mailing List Management - free to Quarterly/Monthly sponsors
          o Quarterly or Monthly Update
          o  6, 12 and 24 Packs

       A detailed comparison of FlashBack and alternatives such as:
          o Advertising in a Trade Paper
          o Sending a Press Release to a wire service
          o Direct Mail
          o Custom, Printed Newsletter
          o Your own e-mail Newsletter
          o Custom WWW Site
       is provided.
You may send for any of these articles by sending mail to
FlashBack at FlashBack.COM.
Include the article numbers for the the articles that you want in the
Subject line. E.g. to get a copy of 71.01 and 71.02

         % mailx FlashBack at FlashBack.COM
         Subject: 71.01 71.02
         ^D
         %

unless FlashBack comes to you through a local redistribution alias.
flashback lists and resubscribe to the multi-media lists (mt-sunflash and
mt-flashback), I would send mail thus:

	% mailx majordomo at FlashBack.COM
	Subject:
	subscribe mt-sunflash  johnj at flashback.com
	subscribe mt-flashback johnj at flashback.com
	^D
	%

Article Requests to flashback at FlashBack.COM
Article Submissions to Flash at FlashBack.COM