[Samba] Re: multiple wins server entries

Buck Huppmann buckh at sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 28 11:59:02 GMT 2002

remember this?

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 11:23:59PM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> The 'wins server' parameter will take a comma separated list of
> addresses or
> names, but at present it will only use the first.  The code is there to
> allow Samba to fail over to the second, etc. if connections to the first
> start to time out (indicating that the first WINS server is down).
>
> I have not finished this piece because, when the failover occurs, the
> UNICAST_SUBNET record must be updated.  I wanted to work through that
> with
> Jeremy before I made it 'production'.  Perhaps at the conference.
>
> Some notes on what this will and won't do:
>
> - It WON'T allow you to query two WINS servers to resolve a name.  This
>   would result in disjoint NetBIOS name spaces which can really mess
>   things up.

FWIW

we actually would have found this useful recently, when an NT WINS
server started to play dumb and give out negative responses for all
NBNS queries it received--including to DOMAIN<1b> queries from our
samba machines, which made it impossible for our users to login.
while--true--maybe we should have the bcast mechanism configured
as a fallback in the ``name resolve order'' i think we would mind
less having redundant unicast queries going to our on-subnet WINS
servers in the case of incoherently-registered or bogus name queries
than having the redundant queries be broadcast, especially since some
of our machines are on distant networks. this seems to be what an
h-node NT 4 SP6 machine seems to do, anyway, and maybe what we'll
encode into our samba installations