[Samba] causing LMB elections

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at Kaman.com
Fri Jun 28 11:09:02 GMT 2002

Try putting the info for HARRIER into
the \winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts
e.g

192.168.23.7	"DIGITALRAGE    \0x1b"	#PRE
192.168.23.7	HARRIER	#PRE	#DOM:DIGITALRAGE

and see if it helps...

You can put the ip/host info into
\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts at the same time.

Per testparm, my os level = 20, and no combat over LMB

Jim

P.S.  Here's how I update hosts/lmhosts at user logon:

:: Create c:\temp if it doesn't exist (for McAfee AutoUpgrade)
if not exist c:\temp\nul md c:\temp

:: Set workstation to network time

net time /setsntp:192.168.23.5
net time \\samba1 /set /yes

::OS Check
if not .%WINBOOTDIR%.==.. goto Win9x
if not .%OS%.==.. goto WinNTI
goto end

:Win9x
ECHO Win9x
if exist c:\windows\hosts.old del c:\windows\hosts.old
ren c:\windows\hosts hosts.old
copy \\EODC2\NETLOGON\hosts c:\windows
if exist c:\windows\lmhosts.old del c:\windows\lmhosts.old
ren c:\windows\lmhosts lmhosts.old
copy \\EODC2\NETLOGON\lmhosts c:\windows
nbtstat -R
goto end

:WinNTI
ECHO Win NT Intel
if exist %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.old del
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.old
ren %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts hosts.old
copy \\EODC2\NETLOGON\hosts %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc
if exist %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.old del
%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.old
ren %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts lmhosts.old
copy \\EODC2\NETLOGON\lmhosts %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc
nbtstat -R
goto end

:end
cls
Echo Updating your AntiVirus program files, if necessary.
echo.
echo A system reboot may follow this upgrade.
echo.
n:\apps\mcafee\autoupgrade\setup.exe /silent /reboot /logfile
c:\superdat.log