AW: [Samba] samba and PDC don't trust

Michiel_Lange at actuera.nl Michiel_Lange at actuera.nl
Fri Jun 28 07:57:04 GMT 2002

I had not done that yet, but now I did, yet it does not have much avail.

Here's the commands I typed and responses I got:
(PDC = stromboli, samba server = intranet, domain = ACTUERA.NL)
# useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null intranet$
# passwd -l intranet$
Password changed.

# smbpasswd -r stromboli -j actuera.nl
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine
STROMBOLI. Error was : NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT.
2002/06/27 16:59:04 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain ACTUERA.NL.
Unable to join domain ACTUERA.NL.

things that I am not sure about:
machineaccount -> this is the netbios name of the samba server, or the
admin account of the domain or ...?
and the unix user, that has to be created (with useradd) is that the
netbiosname of the server with a '$' behind it, did I get that right?

thanks in advance,
I have the feeling that it will work eventually... and then I'll know a
little bit more interesting things...

Michiel

                    Gianluca Urbano
                    <gianluca.urbano@       To:     "'Michiel_Lange at actuera.nl'" <Michiel_Lange at actuera.nl>
                    ebcom.ch>               cc:     "'samba at lists.samba.org'" <samba at lists.samba.org>
                    Sent by:                Fax to:
                    samba-admin at lists       Subject:     AW: [Samba] samba and PDC don't trust
                    .samba.org

                    28-06-2002 16:34

hi!

you have to add the machine account like: useradd -s /bin/false -d
/dev/null
machineaccount$

passwd -l
machineaccount$