[Samba] causing LMB elections

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Thu Jun 27 14:03:03 GMT 2002

"C. C. Windsor" wrote:

> I've been running samba servers with 200+ W98 machines for
> some time.  I'm changing to W2k and everything was going fine.
> I've upgraded 40 boxes.  One W2k box has started announcing itself
> as a local master browser for one of the workgroups.  A samba
> server thinks it is master, forcing election.  Samba will stop
> being the LMB for about 3 minutes and then will re-establish
> itself as LMB.  In a couple of minutes the same W2k box will
> force another election.  This is occuring every 4 to 5 minutes,
> none stop.  In the smb.conf file, os level = 64.  I have
> tried higher levels.  Changing this parameter doesn't seem to
> have an effect.  Any suggestions for a cure?  What may have
> caused this W2k machine to decide it is the LMB?
>
> thanks,
> Duke

Some things that can cause this are (there may be others as well):

different netmask on the Windows machine

additional protocols on the Windows machine - windows thinks that if
they win on one protocol they MUST win on all. If you have netBEUI or
IPX enabled samba cannot participate in those elections so the Windows
machine will win.
Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177