[Samba] RE: FW: samba woes

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Jun 27 12:00:03 GMT 2002

[Cc list trimmed]

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Johnston, Christopher (DCSA) wrote:

> The tough part is knowing all the file server the users are on.. we have
> over 2 dozen file servers I believe..

You could use one such map for each server, but yes you need to know who
is on first (what's on second ...)

/home/server1/userA
/home/server1/userB
/home/server2/userG

The autofs stuff could perhaps look something like this.

/etc/auto.master:
/home/server1	/etc/auto.server1	--timeout=60
/home/server2	/etc/auto.server2	--timeout=60

/etc/auto.server1:
*     -fstype=smbfs,credentials=/etc/samba/&,uid=&

/etc/auto.server2:
*     -fstype=smbfs,credentials=/etc/samba/&,uid=&

And the homedirs of the users are stored in whatever it is you are using
to store info on users in. For /etc/passwd:

userA:x:1:1:foo:/home/server1/userA:/bin/bash
userB:x:1:1:foo:/home/server1/userB:/bin/bash
userG:x:1:1:foo:/home/server2/userG:/bin/bash

I think knowing which server holds the homedir of which user is something
you will need to know, one way or the other, no matter what you do.

Even if you have one server that is a DFS server isn't that server going
to keep things in per-server subdirectories? Or perhaps you can have one
DFS server that exports "/home" with each users homedir is a DFS
referralpoint (or whatever they are called).

And with 10000 users you'd have 10000 referralpoints. Won't accessing that
be a bit costly?

Note that to build that DFS share you are still going to have to know
where each users home directory is ...

Didn't know that. Seems far too simple ... :)

/Urban