[Samba] Samba as a PDC -- HELP NEEDED

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Thu Jun 27 09:37:03 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-27 at 09:11, Ato Yawson wrote:

> Hi Samba Support,
>
> I'm in an all Windows environment with about 60 Win XP workstations and 10 Win 2K Pros, served by a Win 2K Server and have mails on Exchange 2000. But Mine!! and I mean Mine! stability is a problem!
no big deal - certainly doable

> I read about the ability of Samba as a PDC. Please I need to implement this technology quickly to the situation and buttress my initial arguement that the right choice was an X environment. I've tried working on the smb.conf to get things straightened aout but am at ground zero here I can get the XP wks to logon naturally from scratch as they will do in a native environment.
did you apply the reg patch to the XP clients to turn off the signorseal
stuff? you need to.

> i use linux 7.2 and have placed an order for the 7.3Pro and The Adv. svr 2.1  all in an attemt to get the problem solved.
dude - there is no linux 7.2 (probably you're talking about the redhat
distribution)
Don't bother spending your money on that stuff you just need samba to
work.  You can make that happen on any distribution of linux and other
unix-type operating systems.  Rather than spend your money on that
software I'd hire a consultant with samba expertise for a day or two to
get you up and running.

 Can You tell me what I'm doing wrong and also  would be very grateful if I could get a Step by SStep instruction on how to implement this and also have a mail system to move with it. We are actually looking at replacing The Win 2k Server and Exchange.

I can't say what you're doing wrong because you've not provided much
detail about what is wrong.  Did you try to join the XPs to the domain?
What happens when you try?
Did you get any error messages in the samba logs?
(/var/log/samba/*)
What does your smb.conf look like?

don't worry you'll get it all working!

brad