PLEASE!!! FW: [Samba] Joining XP Pro Client to Samba Domain- Was working, not anymore

Con Harte sysadmin at gfm.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 04:50:06 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm assuming you're using the smbpasswd file for authentication,
based on what I see in your conf file.  Let me know if that's not
the case...

Just an idea, but can you check if the force user and force group
is setting the user as soon as the client attempts the connection,
ie. before authentication.

Assuming the Sign or Seal registry edit has been done, then the best
course of action (AFAIK) is to
1) set the machine as a member of a different _workgroup_,
2) remove the machinename$ from the smbpasswd file,
3) remove the machinename$ from the /etc/passwd file,
4) manually create the machinename$ entry in /etc/passwd file,
5) manually allow the machine to join domain by smbpasswd -a -m machinename,
6) ensure you have an entry for user root in smbpasswd,*
7) Try to move the machine from workgroup to domain, using root
    and root's smbpasswd password.
*If you do not normally have this then put it in temporarily. Use of a
password different from the machine's normal root account is _strongly_
advised. You can avoid this but if you're having problems this is the best
way to avoid more whilst sorting it out.

It's a lot of manual fiddling, but I have found this back to basics approach
work for a lot of problems.  It's all obvious stuff but it's easy to overlook
something.

As for changing the machine's ID, do you mean it's Security Identifier, etc.?
I would _really try_ to avoid tampering with those.  There are always better
alternatives.

Regards,
Con.