[Samba] Slow transfers under W2K, OK under NT4

Tim Allen timallen at ls83.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 01:43:03 GMT 2002

Hi

Samba 2.2.5, Linux 2.4.9.

We're running a small network of half-a-dozen W2K and NT4 clients. We have
an NT4 server and have just migrated all our file serving to our Samba
server. It's immediately obvious that our W2K clients are now running much
slower when accessing files on the Samba server. The NT4 machines are fine.
On a W2K/NT4 dual-boot machine, W2K runs ten times slower - no long hangs -
just much slower file transfer times.

I'm guessing this is a network parameter mismatch issue. Started with

in smb.conf. Commenting out this line has no effect. Any suggestions as to
what to do next much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim Allen