[Samba] Samba 2.2.5 and printers

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Jun 26 18:22:02 GMT 2002

This may be of interest. It comes from man smb.conf

guest account (S)
This  is  a username which will be used for access to services which
are specified as guest ok (see below). Whatever privileges this user
has  will be  available  to  any client  connecting to the guest service.
Typically this user will exist in the pass- word file, but will not have a
valid login. The user account "ftp" is  often  a  good choice  for this
parameter. If a username is specified in a given service, the speci-
fied username overrides this one.

One some systems the default guest account "nobody" may not be able
to  print.  Use another  account in this case. You should test this by
trying to log in as your guest user (perhaps by using the su - command)
and trying to print using the  system  print command such as lpr(1)
or  lp(1).

Default: specified at compile time, usually "nobody"

Example: guest account = ftp

Joel