[Samba] Re: FW: samba woes

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jun 26 13:49:36 GMT 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> "Johnston, Christopher (DCSA)" wrote:
> >
> > what is that exactly?  I am looking for a method to automount NT
> > shares from windows to linux.. so my users can access their home
> > directories..
>
> The common way to do that *kind* of thing would be by using SMBFS.
> My *guess* (because I really have not spent enough time working with
> SMBFS) is that the problem you're seeing is that you want a user-context
> mount (that is, only the user who mounted the share
> should be able to see the share), but you can't get that with SMBFS.

You can give only a single user access to the mount. But it will be
visible to others (inaccessible perhaps, but visible).

An autofs map for /home looking like this could be a starting point:
username1	-fstype=smbfs,credentials=/etc/samba/cred1,uid=username1 \
	://server/share
username2	-fstype=smbfs,credentials=/etc/samba/cred2,uid=username2 \
	://server/share

I think the RH suggestion was something like this, but with a script that
generates the map (see executable maps in the autofs docs).

pam_mount is also sometimes mentioned for this kind of thing, mount things
when people login based on their username/password.

> I don't know if Steve's CIFS VFS bypasses that.  He just made it
> available last week, I think...

I understand there are plans to support accessing as different users on a
single mount, and that is relevant if you want to mount /home and not each
of the subdirectories as well as if you want users to access each others
dirs as themselves.

But that's more the opposite of being invisible to other users.

/Urban