[Samba] RE: FW: samba woes

Johnston, Christopher (DCSA) cjohnston at exchange.ml.com
Wed Jun 26 11:38:22 GMT 2002

If only I could program.. =]

Christopher Johnston
Merrill Lynch / DCSA
(201) 671-2368
http://linux.worldnet.ml.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Langasek [mailto:vorlon at netexpress.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 2:30 PM
To: Jeremy Allison
Cc: Johnston, Christopher (DCSA); 'samba-technical at samba.org'; 'samba at samba.org'
Subject: Re: [Samba] RE: FW: samba woes

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 11:18:45AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 02:06:39PM -0400, Johnston, Christopher (DCSA)
> wrote:
> > Jeremy,

> > Thanks.. is there a fix for this sometime in the future? or is this
> > something that has to do with GLIBC not allowing these symbols or
> > functions to be used anymore?

> It is a GLIBC issue as far as I'm aware. They just removed the ability
> to redefine these symbols, something smbsh depends on.

> Nothing we can do about it I'm afraid, it was a decision
> by the GLIBC maintainers (and I'm not aware of the technical reasons
> for it, or if they provided a work-around in any way).

Dave C-B has previously posted here details of an smbsh redesign that would allow preloading of libsmbwrapper.so to work under Linux in spite of the glibc changes.  In fact, it would work better, as
his design doesn't require *any* of the current autoconf checks for systems that support dlsym(RTLD_NEXT).  That includes Linux, the BSDs, and Solaris, AIUI, and possibly other systems where smbsh is
currently used.

It's simply a matter of digging in and recoding libsmbwrapper.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer