[Samba] Problem with homedirs on sambaserver due to IE

ganja ganja at 0x63.nu
Wed Jun 26 03:01:02 GMT 2002

Hi all, I could really use some hellp, first of all, a little short
description of the scenario..
The company that I am trying to help out looks like this, PDC with NT4, this
computer held both homedirs and profiles until 1-2 weeks ago. They where
then transferrer to a new server running debian (woody) and samba 2.2.3a-6.

This is my problem, IE is storing some cache-files in the homedir and with
the homedir on the samba server I can't download any files, after some
looking around I got into the cachesettings, here it now says 0MB cache and
I can't change it. If I enter a value here and press ok I get an errormsg
saying something like this: "Please enter a value between 1 and 0 for
temporary internet files". That sounds very strange, less than 1MB cache is
required? I can't even enter any decimalsign. If I try to move the temporary
internet files folder it tells me that the partition I am trying to move it
to does not have enough space, this even if I have a lot of gigs empty and I
have no files at all in the temporary internet files folder.

This is what I have tried: I have tried to empty the temporary internet
files folder, didn't help anything.
I have tried to move back the profile to the old server, after this
everything is working perfect (but they want to se their new server, duh!)
I have tried to delete all files in both profile and homedir to get a "new"
user, did not help either.

Actually the problem isn't on all users but most of them, this can be
because some of the users are having thier cache in profile and som ein
homedir for an example, just a guess.

Another problem I have noticed is that sometimmes it's creating a file
called windows in the profile instead of a folder when the profile is empty.
Because of that it can't put files into the windwos-folder.

Here is my smb.conf (or the interesting part of it):
---cut---
[global]
workgroup = CCHOGANAS
server string = %h server (Samba %v)
security = DOMAIN
encrypt passwords = true
password server = *
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
lock dir = /var/log/samba/locks
max log size = 100000
syslog = 0
announce version = 4.0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
add user script = /usr/local/share/samba/add_smbuser %u
local master = No
dns proxy = No
wins server = 193.182.98.11
name resolve order = wins hosts lmhost bcast
load printers = no
browse list = No
character set = ISO8859-1
nt acl support = yes