[Samba] Smbmount question

James W. Beauchamp jbeauchamp at gesinc.com
Tue Jun 25 17:33:01 GMT 2002

Hi all:
My situation is as follows:
RH 7.3 Linux box with Samba 2.2.4 installed from RPM.  One windows 2k pro
box.  both on same subnet.  I have a directory on the win2k box that I want
to make available through Samba via smbmount.  The problem comes when I
actually do the mount.  Mounting the win2k share on the Samba server changes
the group ownership and the file permissions.  It sets them to root.root
when they were root.users before.  I tried creating a low level username on
the win2k box and passing that username and password on the command line via
smbmount but to no avail.  Has anyone seen this problem before and/or know
what I'm doing wrong.  And yes I know it would be easier to just move the
share to the Linux box, but I'm almost out of local disk space and I can't
add anymore right now... :(

TIA

James