[Samba] Newbie question

Kurt Weiss info at kwnet.at
Tue Jun 25 12:02:02 GMT 2002

"DeMarco, Alex" schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I've been looking over the doc, and have Samba installed and running.
>
> We are trying to do the following:
>
> We have a number of nt clients(nt 4 & w2k workstations) that we want to
> provide storage space too on our Unix box.
>
> What we would like is for them to all map one share, then based on
> secuirty(unix?) only allow them to certain subdirectories within that share.
> Example:
>
> \
> \Accounting
> \Finance
> \Programming
>

> Someone could have access to accounting but not finance, or they could have
> access to finance and programming but not accounting.

you need one group, who's members all users are (e.g. win)
then you need a group for every directory
(accounting finance programming)

so you have to configure the tree (example):

/winnet/                owner: root.root        perm.: 0611
/winnet/all             owner: root.win         perm.: 0641
/winner/all/finance     owner: root.finance     perm.: 2660 !!!!
/winner/all/accounting  owner: root.accounting  perm.: 2660 !!!!
/winner/all/programming owner: root.programming perm.: 2660 !!!!

the leading 2 is very important. it sais, that the group of new files is
taken from the directory, not from the creator...
here's the entry in smb.conf:
[all]
comment = 1 4 all
path = /winnet/all
create mode = 0660
directory mode = 2660
browsable = yes
read only = no

have a lot of fun...

--
mit freundlichen grüssen
www.kwnet.at, one step behind future...

Ing. Kurt Weiß
Softwareentwicklung,  EDV Beratung und - Betreuung
A-6425 Haiming, Gartenweg 3
Tel.: +43 699 1 272 9926 / Fax: +43 699 4 272 9926
E-Mail: info at kwnet.at
Web:
http://www.kwnet.at     http://www.oberlandinfo.at
verbringe nicht die zeit mit der suche nach
einem hindernis. - vielleicht ist gar keines da.

franz kafka