[Samba] Logon to windows NT4sp6.

Trevor Fraser trevor at systematic.co.za
Tue Jun 25 08:26:12 GMT 2002

Hello all you boffs.

Can't logon from WinNT. Get error message:

The system cannot log you onto the domain because the system's computer
account in its primary domain is missing or the password on this account is
incorrect.

The event viewer shows the following:

-   Failed to authenticate with \\MERLIN, a windows NT domain controller for
domain ADMIN.
-   The Computer Browse service depends on the following nonexistant
service:
    LanmanServer.      <I think this one's a red herring>

MERLIN is the samba server's  netbios name and is the PDC and the wins
server for the domain ADMIN.

I've added a trust account for the NT computer, and from what I've seen in
the log files, the problem lies with the passwd/user verification. I am
using encrypted passwds, I've even tried non-encrypt on client and server,
same prob. Domain logons from Win98 no prob.  Upgraded to WinNT service
patch 6, Red Hat 7.3, Samba 2.2.3.a, no change. Samba seems to be configured
properly according to all the docs and passes all tests supplied in the
docs. Isn't there a test to test the passwords?

Please help, getting near whit's end, and hair is too short to pull out.
Thanks, Trevor.