[Samba] Can't write QuickBooks file to Samba share

Aton aton at skyenet.net
Mon Jun 24 23:09:02 GMT 2002

Possibly oplocks. I'm not sure on this, but I beat myself to death trying
to figure out why one client's samba server kept corrupting their ACT!
databases. I found, burined in technical articles, that on Windows NT,
2000, and Novell Servers, you need to disable Oplocks if you share ACT!
databases from one of these. This client went from running a Win98 machine
as their "server" to running a linux box, so I was really stuck trying to
figure this out.

ACT!'s knowledge base stated that if you load a new Service Pack for NT or
2000, or reinstall it, it'll change the registry key so that Oplocks in
back on. So, each time you'd do an update to a windows server, you'd need
to manually edit the registry again and change the key. To me, it sounds
like crappy programming on the ACT! developer's part, since these servers
have Oplocks turned on by default, and ACT! doesn't work with it. But I
turned it off on samba and everything was happy again. Since most of the
networks I end up supporting are small, I've disabled Oplocks the majority
of my clients, just to prevent stupid crap like this happening again.

Aton.

At 10:00 PM 6/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>On a server that has been running smoothly since it was setup, and with no
>changes to configurations or network or anything, users cannot save a shared
>QuickBooks file. they have been regularly using, updating and saving to this
>file for a few months. All users are able to create and update other files in
>the same share. I have not confirmed if they are able to create and update
new
>QuickBooks files. The main QuickBooks file is about 25MB.
>
>Server is running:
>RedHat 7.2
>samba 2.2.1a-4
>
>Workstations are:
>Win2k
>QuickBooks 2002 Pro
>
>Any ideas what might be causing this, or what the fix is?
>
>Thanks muchos in advance.
>
>/r
>
>Here's a snippet from one of the user logs:
>
>[2002/06/24 15:48:41, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(478)
>  read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
>[2002/06/24 16:15:17, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(478)
>  read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
>[2002/06/24 16:42:18, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_ioctl(1798)
>  call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.
>[2002/06/24 16:46:47, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(478)
>  read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = Connection reset by peer
>[2002/06/24 16:54:20, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_ioctl(1798)
>  call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.
>[2002/06/24 16:55:02, 0]
rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_query_useraliases(2454)