[Samba] Weird problem - one machine works another doesn't on new server - both OK on old one.

Victoria Welch vikki at oz.net
Mon Jun 24 15:36:02 GMT 2002

Hello Greg,

Thanks for the response, much appreciated!

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 13:42, WEBSTER, Greg wrote:

> Your original post said you had 'jeanne = willow', but here it is rejecting
> the use 'mswillow'. Could this be as simple as a mistyped username?

I think that was indeed it!  It turns out the machine is "willow" but
the users login is "mswillow" :-). I didn't even notice that in the log
(I was seriously into seeing "willow" there).  I changed the smbusers
entry to:

jeanne = mswillow

and she wasn't even asked for a password, just zoooooom :-) right in!
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!

Hehe, I got caught "assuming" :-/ <blush>.

Thanks VERY VERY VERY much for your help and also to everyone else who
gave me a lot of good info!

Much appreciated!  Hehe, after three days of dealing with this, you
don't know how much :-)!

Now I am going to go look at the old server and see why it was working
there :-).

Thanks again & take care, Vikki (who is VERY happy :-).