[Samba] Weird problem - one machine works another doesn't on new server - both OK on old one.

Victoria Welch vikki at oz.net
Mon Jun 24 13:16:25 GMT 2002

Hi Tony,

Thanks very much for the response!

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 12:23, Ricker, Tony wrote:
> Victoria,
> Pardon me for maybe asking the obvious, but is there anything in
> /var/log/samba for this machine? If nothing, maybe the machine is not
> hitting your box (network) or if there is, it may give you/us a place to
> start. Good luck.

I was about to respond that nothing had ended up in the logs, but
decided to look again.  Now there is something!  I'm getting:

[2002/06/23 23:48:03, 0] passdb/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(827)
  smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User mswillow

The testing I was doing resulted in nothing in the logs, I assumed (heh)
that it had to do with never getting past the password prompts.  There
were FAR more attempts at this than are reflected in the log for her
machine so I don't know what that is about.  Those 5 that are there now
were the last pass before I fell over last night :-)

OK, I basically understand the message, but the password configured into
smbpasswd is the correct (99.999% SURE) password, it does indeed work
for logging into the linux box in question.  I have reset it a number of
times in smbpassword very carefully so I am pretty sure it is right
there.

However, this gives me something to think about, although I am not sure
what.  At least samba is now responding to Jeans box.

Scratching head...

Thanks & take care, Vikki.