[Samba] Please Help FreeBSD 4.5 and XP

Savage, Elijah elijah_savage at reyrey.com
Mon Jun 24 07:16:02 GMT 2002

All I will try to keep this short but I can't get any of my windows boxes to
join the domain they include winXP, win2k, win9x.

Server FreeBSD 4.5 Samba from Ports 2.2.2

Celery 400 with 512 meg of ram 120gig of Raid 5 U2W drives

I added the machine names to samba in freebsd you must use vipw because
there is no adduser plus it has a hard time with the $ at the end of the
machine name.

Then I created the smbpasswd like such

Smbpasswd -a -m machine_name

Then I get machine name added.

The I created the users with useradd, then created smbpasswd for each user.

But when I try to make any of the clients join the domain it says it can't
find the domain controller.

On the WinXP clients I used the SignOrSeal reg to edit the registry.

I used a great doc from ibm.com/developerworks that has a walk thru for
creating directories and such.

If anyone could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated, I do not
want to have to reinstall nt4 again after it crashed this weekend. FreeBSD
was already acting as a file server for this domain I just want it to be the
PDC now. If I put all the pc's in a workgroup they can see all the shares
and their home directories on the FreeBSD box.

Thank you

Oh yeah has onyone ever gotten freebsd to work as a PDC for a windows
domain? I have spent numerous hours search newsgroups and google to come up
empty handed.

Here is a copy of my smb.conf

# Global parameters

[global]

      workgroup = DIGITALRAGE

      netbios name = HARRIER

      encrypt passwords = Yes

      update encrypted = Yes

      log level = 2

      max log size = 50

      name resolve order = hosts wins lmhosts bcast

      socket options = TCP_NODELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
IPTOS_LOWDELAY

      domain admin group = @admins

      logon script = netlogon.bat

      logon path = \\%L\%profiles\%U