[Samba] NT domain logon

Trevor Fraser trevor at systematic.co.za
Mon Jun 24 03:33:04 GMT 2002

To Andrew and the samba list.

I'm a bit stuck with loging onto my "admin" domain from my windows NT
machine (sp 6), but from my '98 machine, all is well.  I understand there is
no comparison though. I have read and closely followed all the docs and
faqs, even book extracts and all the log files, turning log level to 100. I
do find a line reading:

credentials check wrong

What I have managed to pick up, maybe a red herring, is that the
/var/cache/samba/browse.dat doesn't have an entry for the NT machine, but
the wins.dat does, but only with the #00 and #03.

Anyway, relevent or not, the logon message in the event viewer on the WinNT
is :

Failed to authenticate with \\MERLIN, a Windows NT domain controller for
domain admin.

The Server service on the WinNT is also not running, would this add to the
problem? Please send some input.

Thanks, Trevor.