[Samba] smbpasswd + ldap questions

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 24 01:33:02 GMT 2002

David Wright wrote:
> to run passwd on THAT machine.
>
> What I really want is either:
>
> * that pam_smbpasswd be able to update the smbpasswd file on ANOTHER
> computer. Say on the file server via smb. Is this actually possible and
> I've just missed it? If so, how do I configure that? Or...
>
> * a "pam_smbldap" module that does what pam_smbpasswd does, but uses an
> LDAP backend in place of the smbpasswd file. I actually looked at the
> pam_smbpasswd code to see if this would be easy to implement. The code
> is very straightforward, but unfortunately this is because it hides all
> of the actual work in calls to Samba libraries. Has someone with more
> unserstanding of the Samba internals perhaps already undertaken the
> production of a "pam_smbldap" module?

hi !

i am successfully using the patch to the pam_ldap module provided
athttp://www.rit.bme.hu/~balsa/pam_ldap_ntlm/
to keep the smbpasswd and the unixpassword (bot stored in the ldap-tree)
in sync.
you then just have to add a line like "samba_ntlm_sync true" to your
/etc/pam_ldap.conf
i think the patch is for pam_ldap-137 but it worked (for me) on
pam_ldap-140 too.

mfg.cfd.sdr
IOhannes