[Samba] 2.2.5, xp and incorrect logon drive as root

Thomas Bork knuffelmail at gmx.de
Sat Jun 22 17:54:03 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > I set up 2.2.5 as PDC. With an XP-Client and log on as an simular
> > user as root (I'm mapping "Administrator" to root in /etc/user.map)
> > the logon home directory is the share "root". What is the reason
> > for that? Is "root" a not usable name for a share?
>
> If you use [homes] then any unix username will be added as a share
> name.

that's true but not the problem  ;o)
The problem is, my homedirectory is not mounted but the share "root" is
mounted instead. In my case this is the share

[root]
   comment = root directory on linux
   read only = no
   browseable = no
   path = /
   valid users = root eis
   create mode = 0700
   directory mode = 0700

with full access to the hole filesystem (/). That's why I asked, if the
name "root" is not a usable (forbidden, reserved) name for a share? I
think there is always a problem, if an identical username and sharename
exist and using the special section [homes].

der tom
[fli4l-team]
I                                                                  I
I ML-Archiv : http://lists.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de/pipermail/fli4l I
I FAQ       : http://www.fli4l.de/german/extern/faq/faq.htm        I
I EIS-SAMBA : http://home.arcor.de/tombork/files/eis/eis-list.txt  I