[Samba] XP and NT printer driver conflicts

Lee Leahu lee at ricis.com
Fri Jun 21 11:40:03 GMT 2002

Hello,

I am running Windows XP and Windows NT workstations on a lan with a samba 2.2.4 server providing files and printers to these workstations.

I have the following printers shared by samba:
HP LaserJet 1200
Epson Stylus Color 3000
Epson Stylus Pro XL
HP DesignJet 755 CM
HP DesignJet 2500 CP

The problem I am having is that Windows XP and Windows NT are using different drivers for the same printer and after I setup printers on
a Windows NT host, the samba server is insisting that the Windows XP hosts use the NT drivers.  So I delete the ntdrivers.tdb, ntprinters.tdb
and  printing.tdb files from /usr/local/samba/var/locks.  Then after restarting the samba server, I am able to setup Windows XP drivers, but then
samba insists that Windows NT use XP's drivers.

Is there a way to configure samba to NEVER suggest any driver to use and let the client workstations do all the printer driver selections?

I have even gone to the extent of setting my printer admin group to @ntadmins and making sure there were no users in the ntadmins group.  I then
deleted ntdrivers.tdb, ntprinters.tdb, and printing.tdb.  Then I did a touch on those three files names and chmod'd them to 0400.  And still samba finds
a way to update these files and continue to sugguest drivers.

How can i make this stop???

Here is my smb.conf file:

<snip>
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2002/06/17 12:47:23

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = ARETE3
	netbios name = NENDRAL
	server string = Arete3 Server
	interfaces = eth1 lo
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	log level = 5
	log file = /var/log/samba
	max log size = 1024000
	name resolve order = host
	time server = Yes
	deadtime = 15
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8760
	printcap name = /usr/local/etc/printcap
	domain admin group = @ntadmin
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u
	delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %U
	logon script = login.bat
	logon path =
	logon drive = h:
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 64
	lm announce = True
	preferred master = True
	domain master = True
	wins proxy = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	admin users = @ntadmin
	printer admin = @ntadmin
	create mask = 0777
	force create mode = 0777
	force security mode = 0777
	directory mask = 0777
	force directory mode = 0777
	force directory security mode = 0777
	printing = lprng
	print command = /usr/local/bin/lpr -U%U@%M -P%p -r %s
	lpq command = /usr/local/bin/lpq -P%p
	lprm command = /usr/local/bin/lprm -P%p %j
	lppause command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc -U%U@%M hold %p %j
	lpresume command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc -U%U@%M release %p %j
	queuepause command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc -U%U@%M -P%p stop
	queueresume command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc -U%U@%M -P%p start

[Temp]
	comment = Temporary File Space
	path = /tmp
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes

[Jobs]
	comment = Arete3 Jobs
	path = /var/arete3work/Jobs
	write list = @ntadmin, @cad

[Graphics]
	comment = Arete3 Graphics
	path = /var/arete3work2/Graphics
	write list = @ntadmin, @cad

[Prototype]
	comment = Arete3 Prototype
	path = /var/arete3work/Prototype
	write list = @ntadmin

[Word]
	comment = Arete3 Word
	path = /var/arete3work/Word
	write list = @ntadmin, @admin, @cad

[homes]
	comment = Home Directory
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[printers]
	path = /tmp
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No
	write list = @ntadmin

[hp2500cp_q]
	comment = HP DesignJet 2500CP
	path = /var/spool/samba/hp2500cp_q
	read only = No
	printable = Yes
	printer name = hp2500cp_q

[hplj1200]
	comment = HP LaserJet 1200
	path = /var/spool/samba/hplj1200
	read only = No
	printable = Yes
	printer name = hplj1200

[ep3000]
	comment = Epson Stylus Color 3000
	path = /var/spool/samba/ep3000
	read only = No
	printable = Yes
	printer name = ep3000

[epstyproxl]
	comment = Epson Stylus Pro XL
	path = /var/spool/samba/epstyproxl
	read only = No
	printable = Yes
	printer name = epstyproxl

[hpdj755cm_q]
	comment = HP DesignJet 755CM
	path = /var/spool/samba/hpdj755cm_q
	read only = No
	printable = Yes
	printer name = hpdj755cm_q

[netlogon]
	comment = Netlogon
	path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
	write list = @ntadmin
	guest ok = Yes
	locking = No

[profiles]
	comment = User Profiles
	path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	directory mask = 0700
	browseable = No

[docs]
	path = /usr/local/src
	read list = @ntadmin

[printdrv]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /usr/local/samba/printerdrivers
	write list = @ntadmin

[homedir]
	path = /home
	read list = @ntadmin
	write list = @ntadmin

[print$]
	path = /usr/local/samba/printers
	write list = @ntadmin
<snip>

Here is my lpd.conf file

<snip>
# See "man lpd.conf" for a list of options you can set here.
#     check_for_nonprintable
#   means the 'check_for_nonprintable' option default value is on or 1
#   To set it to OFF or 0, change this to read:
#     check_for_nonprintable@

check_for_nonprintable@

# If you don't want to have local spooling (in case you wish to send the job
# to a global print server or direct to the adressed printer) append a "@" to
# the following line:

force_localhost
client_config_file=/usr/local/etc/lpd.conf
filter_ld_path=/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib
filter_path=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/filters:/usr/X11R6/bin
mail_operator_on_error=root
pr=/usr/bin/pr
printcap_path=/usr/local/etc/printcap

# If you distribute your printcap entries through NIS,
# use the following line instead:
#printcap_path=|/usr/lib/yp/match_printcap

printer_perms_path=/usr/local/etc/lpd.perms
server_config_file=/usr/local/etc/lpd.conf
server_user=lp
user=lp
group=lp

# If your printer doesn't print the job remove the "@" from the following
# line. (for example necessary for HP4M with a JetDirect Card)

send_data_first@
<snip>

Here is my printcap file

<snip>