[Samba] NullSessionShares under samba.

Michael Sieters michaels at paradigmgeo.com
Thu Jun 20 22:00:03 GMT 2002

Hi,

We have a Windows service that launches a database server when required,
this service runs as the SYSTEM user. The database server needs full access
to the database files and these files are generally stored on a local disk.
If the files are local then we have no problems access the database. If the
database file resides on another windows system setting the registry key
(below) to the name of that share on the sharing system provides the access
that we require. So far I have not been able to find an option in the
smb.conf file that provides the functionality that setting the Windows
registry key does.

Below is taken from and email that one of our programmers sent me.

	To allow Local System services on any machine in the domain to
	access a specific share on a server, use the Registry Editor
	regedt32 (not regedit) to add the name of that share to:

	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
	 LanmanServer\Parameters\NullSessionShares

	Note that the name of the share is not the path it is the
	logical name associated with the shared directory.

The Guest Ok setting does not seem to work.

Michael