[Samba] FINDNEXT problem, w2k and linux smbfs

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Jun 20 11:34:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 vlads at sympatico.ca wrote:

>  I have inconsistent directory listing on share mounted on linux from windows 2k.
> Some time not all files appear in the directory listing.
[snip]
> Directories I'm having a problems with have 70 to 250 files.
> Average File name length 40 char.
> rw and ro have the same problems.
> stetting ttl argument have also no affect on this problem it only dellays it.

Running this for about an hour (on various looking directories) I have
now seen it 3 times. It would help me if I was able to reproduce this more
easily, so maybe you could test a few things for me:

+ With even longer filenames, does it happen more often?
+ Does more files add to the problem?
+ Does setting the ttl really low (ttl=10) or really high (ttl=100000)
  make any noticable difference?
+ Does smbclient also get missing files?

I have never before been able to reproduce reports of missing files, but
it is not a new problem and have been reported vs many different kernels.

Ah, saw your followup. Yes, it's been reported before to samba-bugs as
well as to this list.

Someone tested the unicode patches for 2.4.18, available from:
    http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html

and reported that the particular directory they were having problems with
started to work.

/Urban