[Samba] Compile error with samba-2.2.5 on HP/UX 11.00

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jun 20 08:51:05 GMT 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 02:35:32PM +0200, René Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got an compiler error while compiling samba-2.2.5 on HP/UX 11.00
>
>    compiling msdfs/msdfs.c
>    cc: "msdfs/msdfs.c", line 105: error 1000: Unexpected symbol:
> "parse_symlink".
>    cc: panic 2017: Cannot recover from earlier errors, terminating.
>    make: *** [msdfs/msdfs.o] Error 1
>
> Line 105 of msdfs/msdfs.c contains:
>
>    static inline BOOL parse_symlink(char* buf,struct referral** preflist,
>
> After removing the word "inline" everything seems to compile ok. Whats the
> meaning of "inline" and does it have any consequences?

That's a mistake in the source code (as you've pointed out).
The DFS stuff isn't always compiled in and most of us on the
team have modern compilers that can handle it, but we shouldn't
be using it in Samba (not portable).

At least you've found the fix, it'll be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for telling us,

	Jeremy.