[Samba] Samba / Win2000

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Jun 20 08:43:02 GMT 2002

Craig wrote:
> I want Windows clients that connect to a Linux/Samba fileserver to be
> authenticated by my Windows 2000 Server.

The easiest way is to setup winbind, join the samba machine to the
domain, and start letting users connect.

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/muo/connect/csamba5.html#winbind

A default install of Mandrake 8.2 (just ensure you intall both samba and
samba-winbind) should set most things up for. RPMs for Redhat from
samba.org (2.2.5) have most of these features now also, but reading the
docs is a good idea.

The documentation I link to below should help you. I have this in
production at a client, using only what I read in my own tutorial (to
test it), except for the "obey pam restrictions" bit which I for you
added below.

[...]
>>>	Can anybody point me to a site where there is good up to date
>>>documentation on how to use Win2000 authentication for a samba
>>
> server?
>
> You are not very clear, do you want windows 2000 clients in a
> samba-controlled domain, or samba in a windows 2000 domain?

[...]

> I think http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/csamba5.html#winbind
> might be better for this (if you are wanting to join a samba server to a
>
> windows domain).
>
> There is an updated copy of it at
> http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/muo/connect/csamba5.html#winbind
>
> Since it is a bit mandrake-specific, you may want a copy of the
> system-auth-winbind file mentioned, which you can find in the
> packaging/Mandrake directory in any source release of samba after 2.2.3a
>
> I think.
>
> Note that if you want samba to create directories on the fly (using
> pam_mkhomedir), you need to enable pam session support:
>
> obey pam restrictions = yes
>
> (something I guess I should add to the doc).
>
> Buchan

Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202