[Samba] Bind failed: Inappropriate authentication

Axel Machens axel_machens at gmx.net
Wed Jun 19 14:00:56 GMT 2002

Hi,

GC> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Irving Carrion wrote:

>> Every time I try and add a user to samba using 'smbpasswd -a -m meuser' I
>> get the following error messages:
>>
>> Bind failed: Inappropriate authentication
>> Bind failed: Inappropriate authentication
>> Failed to add entry for user meuser.
>> Failed to modify password entry for user meuser
>>
>> These are the steps from the docs that I take to create a user:
>>
>>  Step 1. /usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -c "meuser" -s /bin/false
>> meuser$
>>
>>  Step 2. passwd -l meuser$
>>
>>  Step 3. smbpasswd -a -m meuser

GC> Did you set the ldap admin dn in smb,.conf and the associated password
GC> using smbpasswd -w?

Did you set the admin rights in ldap for the samba admin ?

ldappasswd -x -D cn=youradmin,O=Yourcompany -W -S cn=yoursambaadmin,..
(my conf is : ldappasswd -x -D cn=admin,o=INTERN,c=DE  -W -S   \
cn=SambaAdmin,o=INTERN,c=DE)

Hope it helps - but I´m a verry newbie with samba and ldap :o)

Ok. Ciao

Axel Machens