[Samba] Difference between smbstatus and WINS (was WINS querying (Advance d))

WEBSTER, Greg GWEBSTER at ahbl.ca
Wed Jun 19 13:08:43 GMT 2002

Unfortunately, it appears smbstatus will only show the clients that have
accessed the shares since the last restart of the smb daemon (not a
guarantee that people will do this in our case). There appears to be a
timeout of this information as well.

WINS does keep all this information based on when the client's machine first
logs into the network, so it's a lot more accurate.

Man, I wish it was that easy.

Greg