[Samba] UPDATE: syncing unix passwords

Paul Crittenden crittend at storm.simpson.edu
Wed Jun 19 08:19:05 GMT 2002

I have some new information concerning this issue. I am now able to change
both the samba and unix passwords as anyone but root. If I try as root I
only am able to change the samba password but not the unix password. I can
do this at the unix prompt as well as in swat. So it works but why root
can't change both of them makes no sense to me. root can't even change both
for root, although for security root shouldn't have a samba account but for
testing purposes I set one up. I even commented out the, invalid users =
root, line in the smb.conf with no success.

Any ideas?

Original question:
 >I give up. I had this working and now it isn't and I don't know why. I
was able to >sync unix password using smbpasswd but now it won't work. When
I run >smbpasswd it changes the samba password but acts like it doesn't
even see >the parameters in the smb.conf to change the unix password.

 >Here is a sample changing session:
 >
 >as400:# ./smbpasswd xxxxxx
 >New SMB password:
 >Retype new SMB password:
 >Password changed for user xxxxxx.
 >as400:#
 >
 >Nothing is logged in any logs so I can't tell what is going on. Here is
my >smb.conf. Any help would be appreciated.