[Samba] roaming profiles will not load at times...Samba as PDC

Rob Buhler rob at ee.byu.edu
Wed Jun 19 07:52:02 GMT 2002

Hi everyone. I am running samba version 2.2.4-1 and using samba as a PDC
for about 30 windows 2000 machines.
I set it up and it works at times, (users can log in to different
machines and there settings appear the same),
however,  sometimes for no apparent reason the following error messages
appears on windows when
a user logs on....

 "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile..... System attempted
 to load/store file to registry,
but the specified file is not in a registry file format."

I'm not sure what  this message is referring to.  Some of the machines
are on
different subnets, but all of the machines work at times...Also,
occasionally, the profile will not
 save when the user logs out.

Below is my smb.conf file..  I would appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks,
Rob

[global]
deadtime = 5
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
logon path = \\CEREAL\profiles\%u
name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
netbios name = CEREAL
os level = 65
preferred master = yes
security = user