[Samba] profiles

Neil Muller neil at neologix.net
Wed Jun 19 05:09:03 GMT 2002

To get roaming profiles working (w2k not xp) I had to (in addition to
the settings you've got in smb.conf):

* make sure the profiles directory was readable and writable by all
samba users;

* make sure all the profiles are owned (user and group) by the
appropriate samba user (our user's profiles were moved across from a
ghost copy of the original NT PDC);

* make sure all the netlogon scripts are executable by the appropriate
user (I have a separate script for each domain user). I've also made the
scripts owned (user and group) by their samba user;

The other thing I noticed (probably not significant) is that the
prototype smb.conf installed with samba uses a [Profiles] share, not a
[profiles] share and a %U instead of your %u so the path to the location
of the roaming profiles would be \\%N\Profiles\%U rather than the
\\%N\profile\%u. Don't know how significant the change in case is but
when something isn't working I'm usually willing to try anything that
seems plausible :-)

Hope this helps,

Neil