[Samba] Samba-LDAP:Ldap call each time you open a textfile?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jun 19 00:40:04 GMT 2002

werner maes wrote:

> At 11:14 19/06/2002, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >werner maes wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > When I open a text file on a Samba fileserver using LDAP for
> > > authentication, Samba always makes these LDAP calls (see below). The user
> > > has been authenticated so why does Samba still makes these LDAP
> > connections?
> >
> >Samba's ldap handling is 'inefficient' to say the least.  It also hits
> >the underlying getpw*() interface a fair bit - particulary becouse
> >clients often request additional info about a file - like owner - and
> >sysadmins have various smb.conf options set.
>
> Thanks for the information.
> Do you know whether this ldap handling will be improved?
> I tried to eliminate the smb.conf options that could effect this behaviour
> but with no result. The ldap calls were still made.

Most of this is simply glibc and nsswitch doing their stuff.  The rest
is becouse we re-open smbd's own ldap connections per use.   However,
what you see is just glibc at work.

Try using ncsd if this bothers you.  Does this really affect
performance?  Just becouse somthing can be logged doesn't mean that its
a problem.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org