[Samba] Error trying to join my samba server (HP-UX 10.20) to a W2K domai n.

Steig, Theresa A theresa.a.steig at boeing.com
Tue Jun 18 14:45:02 GMT 2002

Just loaded Samba 2.2.3a on an HP-UX version 10.20 server.  Access was
working fine directly from PC to server with same user account name and
password on both the nt domain and HP machine.  Then tried to join the W2K
nt domain and get an error.

dblv017:<32> ./smbpasswd -j NW
fetch_domain_sid: unable to connect to SMB server on machine *. Error was :
SUCCESS - 0.
Failed to get domain SID. Unable to join domain NW.

I did not specify a pdc because our nt folks say not to, and others have
been able to join the domain in this fashion (others meaning Sun machines).
I did put the domain info into the smb.conf before joining, as the Sun
admins had done so.  I did stop the smbd and nmbd daemons before trying to
join, and I did have the machine account deleted and recreated between tries
(as others said is a must for connecting).  At this point we are at a loss
as to this being an HP issue or an NT issue.  I hope someone can point me in
some direction for a solution.  Below is the output of my smb.conf file.
The nt domain is NW.

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = NW
        netbios name = DBLV017
        server string = Samba Server
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = *
        log level = 1
        log file = /opt/samba/var/log.%a
        name resolve order = host lmhosts bcast wins
        preferred master = False
        local master = No
        domain master = False
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 134.52.5.15
        guest account = smbnull

[project]
        comment = For test
        path = /project
        hosts allow = (hosts omitted for security reasons)

Theresa Steig
CADDS/AWARE
(425) 234-8267
email: theresa.a.steig at boeing.com