[Samba] Fix for smbpasswd Samba 2.2.4 on Solaris only taking 8 character passwords

Andrew Gray grayaw at egr.unlv.edu
Tue Jun 18 10:30:08 GMT 2002

But it doesn't under Solaris.  getpass() on Solaris only takes the first 8
characters.  In the man page under Solaris for getpass() it specifically
mentions getpassphrase():

Standard C Library Functions                          getpass(3C)

NAME
     getpass, getpassphrase - read a string of characters without
     echo

SYNOPSIS
     #include <unistd.h>

     char *getpass(const char *prompt);

     char *getpassphrase(const char *prompt);

DESCRIPTION
     The getpass() function opens the process's controlling  ter-
     minal,  writes  to  that  device  the null-terminated string
     prompt, disables echoing, reads a string of characters up to
     the  next  newline  character  or EOF, restores the terminal
     state and closes the terminal.

     The function  getpassphrase()  is  identical  to  getpass(),
     except  that  it  will read and return a string of up to 256
     characters in length.

RETURN VALUES
     Upon successful completion, getpass() returns a pointer to a
     null-terminated  string  of at most PASS_MAX bytes that were
     read from the terminal device. If an error  is  encountered,
     the  terminal  state  is  restored  and  a  null  pointer is
     returned.

Grepping the includes for PASS_MAX yields:
limits.h:#define        PASS_MAX        8       /* max # of characters in a
password */

---
Andrew Gray
Systems Administrator