[Samba] Samba as a PDC for W2K Network

Matt Hughes mhughes at inav.net
Tue Jun 18 10:27:03 GMT 2002

	Hi all.  I hope someone here can help me with a bit of trouble I seem to be
having with Samba and Windows 2000.  Here's the deal:

	We are attempting to setup a Red Hat 7.3 machine (SYMPHONY2) running Samba
2.2.3a to act as a File Server and PDC for a number of Windows 2000
workstations.  I have followed the instructions from
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html but
unfortunetly, that is not working.  I've attached my smb.conf file at the
end of this email but I'll go through the rest of the stuff now.  We setup
our Samba machine temporarily on a seperate network, INAVNET2 and that is
what we are trying to connect to.

	From a Windows 2000 workstation (CORP), I try to change the Network
Properties to join INAVNET2.  I recieve the message "The domain does not
exist".  However, from that same machine I can browse with Network
Neighborhood and see the INAVNET2 domain.  I can even get into the machine
and browse a few of the directories.  Also, a 'net view /domain:INAVNET2'
points me right to the Samba machine.

	I have setup a Machine Trust Account with the following commands with no
success:
/usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -c "corp" -s /bin/false corp$
passwd -l corp$
smbpasswd -a -m corp$

	I'm a little befuddled.  Any advice or something I may have missed in my
smb.conf file?  Thanks a bundle in advance.

SMB.CONF
[global]
        workgroup = INAVNET2
        netbios name = SYMPHONY2
        server string = Samba %v on (%L)
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 0
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
        logon drive = H:        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        printing = lprng

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Necessary share for domain controller
        path = /samba_shares/netlogon
        admin users = admins

[profiles]
        comment = Share for storing user profiles
        path = /samba_shares/profiles/
        read only = No
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700