[Samba] Print problem

Frank Fürst ffrank at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Jun 18 08:57:05 GMT 2002

Nuno Dias <ndias at fccn.pt> schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I have a FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE and samba-2.2.4 installed in my server, I
> have a printer configured and working through samba.
>
> My problem is, when I reboot my server, my Windows 2000 with service
> pack 2, can't print anymore, when I sent a printer job, there is no
> error, but nothing appear on printer, the other shares area ok, and I
> can get files from this shares.
>
> Then I  restart the deamon's (smbd and nmbd) and  everything is working
> again.

My magic globe says that you're using CUPS on the Server. If cups
startup is not finished when smbd is started, smbd will not find any
printers (since there is no /etc/printcap in cups). When you've noticed
this and restart smbd, cups is up and running, so smbd gets the printer
information.

As a solution, I changed /etc/rc?.d/S20cupsd to /etc/rc?.d/S19cupsd,
smbd ist started by /etc/rc?.d/S20samba

HTH, Frank
--
Frank Fürst, physikalische Biochemie, Universität Potsdam, Germany
Tel.: +49-331-977-5244		Fax: +49-331-977-5062