[Samba] Can't run Xwindows with home mounted by samba

fabio.fcarvalho at ig.com.br fabio.fcarvalho at ig.com.br
Mon Jun 17 16:43:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I´m trying to configure a Redhat Linux Workstation to work in my Windows NT
Domain (NT PDC). My goal is take out all NT Workstations, changing it to
Linux Workstations. I've got almost everything working wonderfully:
1-winbind is authenticating my domain users with pam_winbind
2-samba is mounting NT directories at login with pam_mount

The big problem is about use Xwindows with home directory mounted by samba
2.2.4 in /home/ffcarvalho. I'm mounting it with fmask and dmask = 0777, but
when I try to run startx, I get this error:
$ startx
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/ffcarvalho/.Xauthority
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/ffcarvalho/.Xauthority
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/ffcarvalho/.Xauthority
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/ffcarvalho/.Xauthority

Fatal server error:
PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
        Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to xfree86 at xfree86.org.

giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  unexpected signal 2.
xauth:  error in locking authority file /home/ffcarvalho/.Xauthority
$

It's essential that my domain users work with Xwindows.

Can I solve it using some PAM or some "smb.conf" configuration? How can I
solve this problem? Could someone help me, please? If we get it, we can
FINALLY say good-bye to Windows Workstations (yeah!!!).

Thanks,

Fábio Carvalho