[Samba] Finding Computer on Windows Network

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Jun 17 14:07:02 GMT 2002

There are a number of reasons for this, I guess. Have you walked through
DIAGNOSIS.txt in your samba sources? (docs/textdocs).

This sounds like a netbios name resolution problem. Is nmbd running on
your linux machine? Is this a cross subnet browsing problem? Is there
a wins server and does your windows box use it? Do you have your netbios
name in smb.conf?

Even on my small home network, a wins server made finding other computers
much more reliable. That is to say, all browsing problems went away once I
installed a wins server.

Joel