[Samba] Fix for smbpasswd Samba 2.2.4 on Solaris only taking 8 character passwords

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Jun 17 13:26:42 GMT 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Andrew Gray wrote:

> Under Samba 2.2.4 (and possibly earlier), smbpasswd (when run locally) only
> really reads the first 8 characters, as opposed to the full password.
> Obviously, this can cause mass confusion. :)
>
> The fix is pretty simple (I would offer a diff, but this is the kind of
> thing the configure script should check for...) - under Solaris getpass()
> will only return 8 characters - you must use getpassphrase() to get up to
> 256 characters (same syntax as getpass).
>
> So, under source/utils/smbpasswd.c, line 670, change
>
>     p = getpass(prompt);

>     p = getpassphrase(prompt);
>
> And it works properly.

This is actually a wrong fix.  We attempt to override
with our own internal getpass() function.  This works fine
on every Solaris box I have to test on.  Can you check and see
if REPLACE_GETPASS is defined in include/config.h ?
I need to know why the test is failing on certain Solaris boxes.
Any help woulf be appreciated.

cheers, jerry