[Samba] File & directory permissions

Sylvestre Taburet staburet at mandrakesoft.com
Mon Jun 17 09:42:45 GMT 2002

Le Lundi 17 Juin 2002 18:27, vous avez écrit :
> Hello,
>
> My main problem is that I can't change the read-only attribute on a
> directory (not a file) included in a Samba share from the properties
> dialog box on any Windows workstation. There is not even an error
> message, but depending of the OS (98, ME, NT4, 2K...), when I click on
> Apply, either the tick goes, or when I reopen the dialog box, the tick
> has gone. I checked the permissions and the directory (security) mask,
> my configuration file is basic and I tried several versions of Samba.
> (2.2.3a, 2.2.4). Of course, the user which connects has correct Unix
> permissions.
>
> Here is my whole smb.conf file:
>
> [global]
>    workgroup = ALCIDIAN
>    encrypt passwords = yes
>
> [homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = no
>    writable = yes
>    create mask = 0700
>    directory mask = 0700
>
> I would be very grateful if anyone could help me.
>
> Regards,
> Sébastien Valsemey.

Hi,

"create mask" and "directory mask" are parameters which allow DOS like
attributes to be linked to UNIX perms. As I feel you are talking about ACLs
(winNT/2K perms), and not DOS attributes, you might try with "directory
security mask=700" and "force security mode=700". man smb.conf to read more
about these parameters ;o)

Cheers
--
Sylvestre Taburet - Project Manager
Mandrakesoft S.A. - 43, rue d'Aboukir, 75002 Paris - FRANCE