[Samba] Bind failed: Inappropriate authentication

Irving Carrion icarrion at allinterior.com
Mon Jun 17 09:42:01 GMT 2002

Every time I try and add a user to samba using 'smbpasswd -a -m meuser' I
get the following error messages:

Bind failed: Inappropriate authentication
Bind failed: Inappropriate authentication
Failed to add entry for user meuser.
Failed to modify password entry for user meuser

These are the steps from the docs that I take to create a user:

 Step 1. /usr/sbin/useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -c "meuser" -s /bin/false
meuser$

 Step 2. passwd -l meuser$

 Step 3. smbpasswd -a -m meuser

 I have also tried adding users through the client (win2k) with no success.
Error message displays that the User Name and Password I supplied to add a
user to a domain is incorrect.

 My Overall Objective:
 Have samba authenticate users by using the ldap database.

 Technologies Used:
 Debian Version 3.0
 OpenLDAP 2.0.23
 Samba-2.2.4