[Samba] Re: unix password sync doesn't work

Brian McGraw bmcgraw at philorch.org
Mon Jun 17 07:39:02 GMT 2002

Patrick,
        I just had the same problem recently, and I'm running the same version of Red Hat, and Samba as you. Here's what I have in my smb.conf file

        ;sync UNIX passwords with Samba passwords.
        ;this lets users change their passwords through MS intereface
        smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        unix password sync = Yes
        password level = 4
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        ;PASSWD CHAT line must all be on one line
        passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *updated*

The "password level = 4" attempts variations in case for the users passwords. My users couldn't change their passwords through Windows until I added that line. I'm not sure if that is what you are trying to do, but I was able to get the chat sequence working as shown above, even though it is very minimal. Hope that helps.

Brian