[Samba] error: "printing subsystem unavailable" when trying t o print test page to samba server

Martin Zielinski m.zielinski at seh.de
Mon Jun 17 06:33:02 GMT 2002

Hello List,

Here has been no true solution for this problem, so I dare to post a
"I have this problem, too" - message with some  more details and questions:

I'm using Samba-2.2.5pre1 on a StrongArm110 system with Reiser FS.
I installed ~150 queues with only one driver (HP Laserjet 4) from original
Win2k CD.
Printing system is cups, Client is  Win2k SP2 (but same behaviour on XP)

With only a few queues installed, everything works fine.
When installing one queue after the other, everything seems to be ok, until
between the 10th to 20th queue somethings crashes the spooling subsystem.

Message: spoolsv.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows...

After restarting the print spooler (on the Client), I can use the queues again
and even install some more, until the error occurs again.

Here are my experiences (and guesses):

- All queues use the same driver - there can be no version conficts.
- I can install (and use) queues after the error occurerd , the samba-tdbs and
downloaded files seem not to be corrupted.
- After discarding the vmware Win2k image, I can repeat this game - Samba
seems (?) not to be the problem.
- Usually, I can reproduce the error, only by opening the installed printers
on the client.
- Sometimes Explorer.exe shuts down, not spoolsv.exe

The big question to the experts:

What (on the network) can make Win2000 and XP shut down the spool service?

Some more:
Do sanity checks for the tdbs exist?
Has anyone > 100 queues (and clients) running and in use or is it simply
impossible?

Hope anyone out there knows, where to look at.
Thanks,

Martin

Martin Zielinski m.zielinski at seh.de