[Samba] Selecting Samba Printer Port

Alex Meaden alex at meaden.net
Sat Jun 15 12:24:02 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Leahu" <lee at ricis.com>
To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 8:03 PM
Subject: [Samba] Selecting Samba Printer Port

> I have a strange problem here.  I have a network of Windows NT and XP
clients that print to printers shared by Samba.

> When I double click on the printer icon, the queue opens and it says in
the title bar, "Initializing", then "Failed to connect, Retrying".

> I was able to resolve this on Windows NT by created "Samba Printer Port"
as a local port.  Unfortunatly in Windows XP, everything is greyed on on the
'Ports' tab.  The most I can do right now is create a "Samba Printer Port"
by going into "Server Properties" and defining a global port for all the
printers.  But the problem that still remains is How can I tell my networks
printers to use the "Samba Printer Port"?????

Try mapping the Samba share to a local port e.g.

net use lpt2: \\server\printer

This fixed similar problems for me.

HTH,

Alex.