[Samba] Time Server?

Jay Ts jay at metran.cx
Sat Jun 15 01:33:02 GMT 2002

A caveat about using the 'net time' method: the time only gets
set when the client logs onto the network, so if the client system
is left logged on for long periods, its clock will wander from the
server's.

Previously I wrote that you need the Samba system to be the PDC, but
I think this might not be a requirement.  I haven't tried it, but
in a workgroup environment, or when Samba is set up with security =
user (but not in a domain) you might be able to configure the Samba
server with 'time server = yes', and find some way to configure each
Windows client to run the 'net time' command - such as with a
startup script, or using a method that runs the command every few
hours.

Jay Ts